MV Destiny is our Selene 60 Ocean Trawler yacht designed for bluewater cruising. She which will become our home and mobile working base for the foreseeable future. We have spent nearly three years designing and building the boat with the Jet Tern Marine shipyard in China. Our journey has been full of trials and tribulations (we prefer to call them challenges!) which have called for continual changes to our plans – the latest one being the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic. We’re very close to completion, but not there just yet – so near but so far.
When we finally take delivery we will be cruising the world, exploring different countries and cultures as we go. Our website will journal our travels but will become a technical resource for any boat owner interested in high-tech solutions.
Destiny has been designed for long-term bluewater cruising which demands technical solutions more normally found on large super-yachts. We have tried to design “mini” systems to fit in a more modestly sized vessel – and a more modest budget! This has been a joint project between us and the shipyard. With their limited experience of high tech solutions, we have introduced them to new concepts and have worked on the shop-floor alongside their technicians to design, install, commission and test everything. It’s been a learning curve for all concerned.
The yard has been responsible for the “standard” boat with their usual attention to detail in hull manufacture, interior design and layout and standard fitted equipment. Destiny is a fine example of their exceptional carpentry, all made to measure by hand. The customisation of technical systems has been designed by us and equipment has been procured by us from around the world, supported by the Jet Tern import department for import to China.
We will be documenting our rationale and designs on our website and some of the areas we will cover are:
- AC and DC electrical systems – a smart combined system of generators, shore power, solar power, lithium batteries, battery management systems, invertors, chargers and switching – built around a Victron system capable of operating at different voltages and frequencies in different countries with varying amps for the shore power inputs.
- Marine electronics – a high end NMEA2000 network of navigation and ships management electronics centred on TimeZero PC navigation software and best-in-class sensor devices from Furuno, Digital Yacht, Airmar, B&G among others
- Ships monitoring – a Maretron monitoring system to keep close tabs on all machinery and equipment on-board to make sure all is in good working order and running as it should. The system includes monitoring of tank levels. engine and generator performance, fuel systems, fire and CO alarms, bilge pumps, temperatures, weather and navigation data
- CCTV – a network of cameras for operational safety – monitoring equipment and remote boat locations, security on-board and to aid navigation both day and night
- Audio Visual network – combining entertainment and glass-bridge for navigation using matrix switching to display data or TV entertainment in any location on the boat, together with centralised music and videos, satellite TV and streamed TV
- Communications network – local area data network with mobile internet, VHF, satellite internet, VoIP telephone systems. The network also supports remote access to all of the boat’s navigation and monitoring systems.
- Hydraulic systems – with ABT Trac stablisation including zero-speed, PTO get-home system, bow and stern thrusters and hydraulic crane
- Air conditioning and heating – for live-aboard comfort in the tropics and the poles! A combination system from Webasto and Kabola for chilled water air-conditioning and diesel fired central heating working together with the addition of under-floor heating from Mave
- Water systems – water-maker, upgraded pumps for water circulation, anchor wash, waste water tank cleaning, high pressure shower systems, jet-wash on decks, city water hook-up for marinas
- Custom-made mattresses and bed linens imported from Europe thanks to Ship Shape Bedding
- Anti-fouling treatments for the hull with a combination of CopperCoat anti-fouling paint for the hull, Amorsil for the moving parts and an ultra-sonic system to boost performance
We are also working on behalf of Jet Tern to introduce new bluewater cruising owners to the brand. This is just one of the services we are offering through our company Kismet Marine. In addition to boat sales, we undertake a wide range of projects for owners of all types of boats.